Friday, June 26, 2009

News You Can Use


I haven't done a lot of music writing for other venues recently - truth be told, after four or five years of writing music reviews and doing music journalism, it started to get really repetitive and I burnt out. Plus, with everything else that's been going on, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to non-academic writing - to which this blog's spotty publication history will attest. However, I have been easing my way back into it lately, and I contrited a handful of entries to Popmatters' big 10th Anniversary feature, spotlighting the most memorable and important (which does not necessarily mean "good") discs from 1999. I love the music of the 90s - not to sound like a grumpy old fart, but dammit, in many respects this current decade was a big come-down from the last one. If you're under 25 maybe you'll have reason to disagree, but it's been kind of a bleh decade for music.

Anyway, I wrote some of these you might be interested in. Scroll down the page for the appropriate bits:

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
Leftfield - Rhythm & Stealth
Le Tigre - S/T
Basement Jaxx - Remedy

A couple of them are rush jobs and I had no idea how they'd end up reading, but none of them are terribly embarrassing. (OK, maybe the Leftfield one.)

No comments :